Monday, April 7, 2008

Lao Tsu

Poor Old Master, his teachings where quickly despoiled.

Patience, Simplicity, Compassion

He taught wisdom the best way he could but so much of truth is not speakable; the eternally real is not something to be named.

He spoke much of the tao, but taoism today is as complex as any other fabricated religion.

What's with the intricate path of knowledge of facts and names and rules? All of that excess only makes fulfillment impossible. One day I will no longer join in on biting the inside of our cheeks in struggle. One day I'll be free from desire and I'll see the mystery. One day I'll be at peace and watch the beings in turmoil around me; waiting. I will immerse myself in the source, the source of where we all came from, and I will be serene.
But then again, again, do I really want to escape from what makes us more human, more flawed? Will I miss getting angry and dreadfully confused and distraught? Aren't I living to stuff all of this sadness and emotion in my travel back? Why should I snuff out the wonderful pains of life when I'm only going to be around for a little bit before returning to where I came from. I should welcome the sorrow and hate with the compassion
But then again, again, I should try for both.

1 comment:

Rum Doxy said...

OMFG. Darlin, you must, must, must read some Albert Camus, specifically his essay collection "The Myth of Sisyphus."

Seriously.

Most of his philosophical work explores the ideas of juggling the ridiculous and the grand, the comic and tragic, the oxymoronic extremes of our high-minded mammalian existence.

And you're right, of course: you should strive for both. Better yet (in my not-so-humble opinion), perhaps you should strive to embody both, as opposed to attaining them.

(allow me to introduce my Giant Ego...)

Max Eastman said that "the defining function of the artist is to cherish consciousness."

I don't know if we're actually on the right track with that, but, y'know...

as long as we're awake and waking.

Love,
RD